Healthy Diet &
A healthy balanced diet helps to maintain and improve general
health. To develop healthy eating habits isn’t as confusing and
restrictive as people imagine.
Eating a wide variety of foods is the first principle of a
healthy diet. Secondly it involves consuming appropriate amounts
of all essential nutrients in right proportion and an adequate
amount of water. Fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, food rich in
carbohydrates, proteins, minerals and vitamins are the
foundation of a healthy diet. To maintain a healthy diet, food
low in calories, fish, meat (lean), dairy products low in fat,
fish, poultry etc. should be taken.
An unhealthy diet is a risk factor for a number of chronic
diseases like diabetes, high blood pressure (BP), abnormal blood
lipids, obesity, cardiovascular diseases, stroke and even
cancer. In order to lead a healthy life free of diseases one
need to follow certain tips which are stated as under:
1. Eating plenty of high fiber foods like vegetables, fruits,
legumes, nuts, whole grain foods and low–fat dairy products are
nutritious and at the same time low in calories.
2. Colorful vegetables and fruits like carrots, broccoli,
cantaloupe, citrus fruits etc have antioxidants and various
types of nutrients. These foods help to protect against cancer
and other diseases.
3. Highly processed fast food, high in solid fats and sugar
should be avoided.
4. Limit intake of animal fat as it is rich in saturated fat
which boosts blood cholesterol level and has adverse health
effects. Low-fat dairy products, lean meats, and skinless
poultry can be taken instead.
5. Sugary beverages like soda should be avoided. Water or
flavor-infused water can be taken as substitute.
6. For a healthy snack, choose fruit, nuts or low-fat yogurt.
7. Consumption of salt or sodium from all sources should be
limited and also ensure that salt is iodized.
8. Regular exercise should be part of the daily routine.